Vacation and Rain



It’s another rainy day here at St. Andrews. I love the thunder and steady downpour, but I feel bad for all the vacationers on a tight schedule to have fun. As I sit here looking out the window, watching the raindrops slide down the glass, it is starting to slack off and the thunder has stopped. There are huge puddles, nearly small ponds, everywhere. I know the poor folks in tents are soggy and hoping for a break, but then I see the kids come out.

They are flying through the puddles on their bikes, splashing up huge rooster tails. Some are sliding across the water on boogie boards, coming up covered in mud and drenched to the core. But they are having so much fun! I hear roaring noises as they are probably pretending to be tanks or speedboats and I hear lots of laughter.

It's then that I realize I have forgotten to look for the joy in every situation. I thought I tried, but as I watch these kids play and make the best of a dreary day, I know I can do better. I must remember what it was like when life was so simple that stomping in a puddle was the best fun ever.

I feel younger than I have in years. I don’t have to worry about the neighbors or keeping up appearances. I don’t care that my RV isn’t brand new. I don’t have to have perfect flowers in my garden or a manicured lawn. I’m free, I’m beginning to feel more like that child in the puddle. Life is good. I hope I have thirty more years to live this life with my best friend. But whatever we have left, I will enjoy each day to the fullest. Now I think I’ll go stomp through some puddles!

Until next time, be blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts